Avoiding Bitterness in SufferingProduct Code: BK2760
When Ronda Chervin’s son, Charles, ended his own life, he did so believing that it is pointless to endure inevitable suffering.
In the wake of Charles’s death, Dr. Chervin set out to discover some of the most basic — but all too often misunderstood — answers to why God allows us to suffer, and how we can bear it with perseverance and hope.
She shares her discoveries in these pages, helping you understand that while there is no escape from pain, pain itself is the road into the heart of Christ where peace can be found.
You’ll be given encouragement and practical advice as you explore afflictions such as failure, fear, frustration, loneliness, loss, marital problems, physical pain, fatigue, and temptation.
Dr. Chervin explains each affliction in detail and offers reflections on the lives of saints who suffered from the very same cross. Throughout each chapter you’re given practical suggestions on how you can meet Christ in your particular pain.
You’ll draw wisdom from the lives and writings of saints who were addicted, depressed, exhausted, raped, and unhappily married. And among these saints, you’ll discover within their responses a pattern that you can ponder and imitate.
Avoiding Bitterness in Suffering will bring courage and hope that in Christ and in communion with his saints, you can — and will — triumph over every kind of adversity.
You’ll also learn:
- How you can overcome the pain associated with loneliness and isolation
- Five ways to overcome doubts about the Faith
- Four steps to liberation from the suffering of indecision
- Five ways to meet Christ in the suffering of exploitation
- What St. Benedict teaches us about failure – and how it changed the world
- How to cope with failure and poverty
- Five ways you can transform fear into trust in Christ
- How you can turn frustrations and anger into a Christian spirit
- How you can respond in a holy way to marital discord, demanding spouses, physical abuse, psychological abuse, abandonment, and rage
- Four ways you can turn to Christ in times of temptation
256 pages. Paperback.