Our Lady of ProvidenceProduct Code: ST1268
Uniquely detailed statue of Our Lady of Providence. Hand crafted and painted and as a result fine details may vary. 7-1/2" tall with a 4-1/4" base. Imported from Columbia and made of plaster.
Devotion to Mary, Mother of Divine Providence began in the first house of the Congregation of the Clerics Regular of St. Paul (Barnabites) in Rome at San Carlo ai Catinari church around year 1611. Around 1580, The Italian painter Scipione Pulzone created a work titled "Mater Divinae Providentiae," which depicted the Blessed Mother cradling the Infant Jesus. This painting was given to the Barnabite religious order in 1663. It was placed on the altar of a chapel on the first floor of the Saint Charles rectory behind the main altar. In 1732, a copy of the painting was placed in a location adjacent to the main altar of the church of San Carlo ai Catinari in Rome, where it drew many faithful visitors.